“If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life. With confidence, you have won even before you have started.” Marcus Tullius Cicero
Yesterday a thought came in my mind that what will happen if we could buy confidence in the market. $50 per KG or $100 for a family pack. So whenever we will have interview or want to speak publicly we will go in the market and will buy as much as confidence we need. We all know that it is not possible and confidence is not something we can get it externally, but it is something to build inside.
“Whatever we expect with confidence becomes our own self-fulfilling prophecy.” Brian Tracy
So what is confidence exactly? It is a feeling to do something with faith and without fear. So you just have to do two things to build confidence, get rid of fear and develop faith in yourself that you can do it. It sounds simple, but I know it is difficult to do, but not impossible. We need confidence in each and every area of our life. Have you ever thought that you need confidence in simple thing such as walking as well? Today you might not realize, but have you noticed wobbly walk of one year baby.
“Believe in yourself! Have faith in your abilities! Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers you cannot be successful or happy.” Norman Vincent Peale
In this post I will list down 10 tips to build your confidence. Some of them might be instant and some needs practice. Analyze each tip carefully and apply in your daily life.
1. Strong Desire – If you want to be successful in anything, a strong desire is must. Have a burning desire to be confident in the area you want and back it up with the benefits you are going to get. Think what it will give you personally and socially. For exam if you want to build confidence for an interview, then think of the benefits like better designation, more money, new opportunities, etc.
2. Prepare yourself in mind first – You must have noticed that if someone ask you to do the task second time, then it is easier for you then first time, because you have confidence that you have done it previously so you can do it again. Similarly mind cannot differentiate between imagination and reality. So rehearse the entire situation in mind first as many times possible.
3. Walk faster – I read this in “The magic of thinking big” book that walking fast can help you in building confidence. In the starting I was skeptical about it, but when I tried, it really worked. People with confidence walk quickly. They have many places to go, people to see, and important tasks to do. It will also make you feel and look important. It gives you energy. Just try it once and you will see the benefit.
4. Failure is just a result – Most of the people show lack of confidence mainly because they are afraid of failures. Even if you fail, you will be better than many people who don’t even try. Don’t take failure as a last outcome. Thomas Edison said “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”
5. Present yourself well – Some people think that confidence is not concerned with how you dress up. I totally disagree with this. Just try once, go to your office with improper cloths and unpolished shoes. You will see that you will try to avoid to get in contact with many people compare to when you are well dressed up. Good personality gives you immense confidence.
6. Affirmation for self esteem – Many of us know that we all have chatter box in our mind which continuously talk to us and most of the time on negative side. We can shut this chatter box by conditioning our mind with positive thinking. Our mind works on the Idea we provide to it, so why not give positive ones. You can affirm below sentence in your mind or loudly. They will remove negativity and will give you great confidence.
- I grow in strength with every forward step I take
- I can do anything I set my mind to do
- I am well groomed, healthy and full of confidence.
- I face difficult situations with courage and conviction.
- I always find a way out of such situations
You can also create affirmations of your own according to your situation.
7. Fake it till you make it – It might be not possible for everyone to build confidence instantly. There is another way to build it, fake it. Act confidently till the time you actually have it. You might not even realize that after sometime you don’t have to act it, it comes naturally.
8. Exercise – Just same as dressing well you need to be physically fit. Fat guys always become victim of jokes because they lack confidence. If you are out of tone then you will start getting feeling of inferiority which is a biggest enemy of confidence. Daily exercise not only makes you feel better, it creates positive momentum that can help you for the rest of the day. It also shows how much you love yourself.
9. Surrounding – The people you hang out with can either drag you down or lift you up. It is very important to keep yourself in company of confident people.
10. Count your strengths and achievements – We always feel good when we think about our achievements. It gives us the feeling of satisfaction. Review the list of your strengths and achievements once in a week.
The above list is unlimited just like possibilities of increasing your confidence. I want to close this article by saying that I am confident enough that if you follow above steps you will definitely improve your self confidence.