“Forgiveness is the answer to the child’s dream of a miracle by which what is broken is made whole again, what is soiled is made clean again.” Dag Hammarskjold
Almost everyone has grudge for someone. Your partner might have cheated on you. Your colleague might have played politics with you. Someone might have spoiled your childhood or someone might have hurt your Ego. Some wounds are difficult to forget, but we do not accept the truth that by thinking over and over again on those memories will make our life hell. We have given lots of importance to resentment; now let’s give a chance to forgiveness.
“People can be more forgiving than you can imagine. But you have to forgive yourself. Let go of what’s bitter and move on.” Bill Cosby
What is forgiveness?
Forgiveness is a decision to let go of grudges and thoughts of revenge. Forgiveness helps you in moving your focus from negative aspects of your life to positive ones. Forgiveness is like incense, you burn your resentments and the smoke which comes out of it spreads fragrance of happiness in your life.
It does not mean that we are trying to justify wrong. The person who has hurt you do not become right, it is just that we forgive him for what he has done. Forgiveness makes you feel light and bring peace in your heart.
Why it is difficult to forgive?
I know that many of you, who read above paragraph, might have thought that it is not easy to forgive. So why it is so difficult? One of the reasons is that we have conditioned our mind towards negative thinking and anger & revenge are the most powerful among negative thinking. My mom told me once, the person who has done something wrong to you, hurts you only once in that moment, but you hurt yourself again and again by thinking over that. If you dwell on hurtful events, then it creates strong roots in the mind.
“To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.” Lewis B. Smedes
What happens when we can’t forgive?
It is found in the research that feeling of hatred and resentments affect your health. Person becomes depress by thinking on hurtful situation. We start feeling helpless. We bring anger and bitterness in all relationships. We start living in awful past and forget to live in present. We start feeling our self as victim and disconnect our self from the world even from the one who loves us.
“The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.” Mohandas Gandhi
How can I forgive someone?
Forgiveness is a promise you make yourself to become happy.
- Understand the importance of forgiveness in your life and make it a regular practice.
- Evaluate the hurtful situation, was it really bad that we are holding for so long.
- Put yourself in opposite person’s shoes and think that you might have also reacted in the same way.
- Remember the situation where you have hurt someone and he has forgiven you.
Some more ways
- Write a name of a person in the paper and write “I forgive you” and tore it.
- Visualize the situation where you forgive who has hurt you and see a new positive life.
“The ineffable joy of forgiving and being forgiven forms an ecstasy that might well arouse the envy of the gods”. Elbert Hubbard
What Forgiveness can give you?
- We start focusing on positive aspects of life and it becomes worth living.
- It gives you health benefits by getting rid of stress and depression.
- Relationships improve especially when we have to forgive close one.
- We start feeling peaceful from inside move towards spiritual well being.
Many times we do things in life which hurt others and we realize the same and we can’t forgive ourselves. It is important that we accept what wrong we have done and ask for the forgiveness from the person you have hurt. Mean it from heart and it will create magic. We all are human and tend to make mistakes; the most important is we accept our mistakes.
Let us all adopt the value of forgiveness in our life and make this world and our heart free from anger and hatred.