“All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you.” Wayne Dyer
“You are responsible for your own life”. Your whole life will change when you understand and accept this basic principle of happiness and success. We always blame other people or situations for whatever bad happen to us.
I was not born with the golden spoon or my dad didn’t help me or I am screwed because of my wife, you must have heard these statements many times or might have spoken also. Many times we also get lost in the dream world where we try to change our past and imagine our current improved life. What a waste of time? We all know that we can’t change our past. The only thing we can change is our present and through which we can make our better future.
I read this short story somewhere and I liked it very much. “In an office everybody was very disappointed with their appraisals. After sometime their boss came and told them that there is a picture of a guy in the canteen, who is responsible for your bad appraisals. Everybody went to the canteen in anger to find out who is that guy. To everybody’s surprise there was a big mirror and everybody saw their own image in that”. So why do people blame others for their life, because it is easier to blame others, rather than taking the responsibility. It is easier to blame others, but is it going to solve your problem.
“When you blame others, you give up your power to change.”
Person who takes the complete responsibility of his life always experience joy and control of circumstances. He knows that he has the power and he is the only one who can make his life better. We become helpless when we are dependent on others. We keep on waiting for situation to change, whereas responsible people change the situation. They are able to make decisions, because they know that there are only responsible for their decisions.
Even when situation is not in under control, you can at least control your reaction. You can make a situation either a disaster or you can use it as an opportunity to learn, to grow and to become a better person. It is not your fault that you were born in a poor family, but you are a looser if you didn’t take any action to become rich. Can you imagine what would have happened if Bill gates had this thought “Hey, I was born in a family of farmer. I can’t become the richest person in the world”
“Be the change you want to see in the world.” Mahatma Gandhi
How to take the responsibility of your life?
The most important aspect of taking responsibility is that your life is the result of choices made by you. No one else can live your life.
- Stop giving excuses all the time. Do not blame the fast food for your over weight, it is you who chose to ate that.
- Observe what you say. Whenever you find that you are blaming others, stop for a moment and rephrase your sentence by adding “ I am responsible”
- If a person whom you respect says that you give excuses and blame others, accept the feedback seriously. Stop your defensive attitude and understand the issue in depth.
- Start taking the responsibility of your small actions first. Life is made up of each day and not just the big events sometime in the future. If you reach late in the office, do not blame the traffic. Instead take the responsibility and work hard to fulfil for the lost time.
“Responsibility is the price of greatness.”Winston Churchill
I know it is very difficult to do this because of our old belief system, but there are many benefits to it.
- You can take better decisions when you know that you are responsible for them.
- Your self esteem and self confidence increase because you know that you control your own life.
- Taking actions becomes your habit and not just onetime event. New options become available for you.
- You also start getting the respect from others. World only respect those who take the charge of their own life and becomes the winners.
Taking responsibility does not mean feeling guilty whole life about your mistakes. It is about learning from your mistakes and not to repeat them again. So from today stop the self defeating behavior and take the charge of your life and become the successful and happy person.